Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Since I can now get all of this data for free on the Internet, why should I pay you for it?
Here are five reasons:
Ultimately it's your decision, but many professionals find that
paying for our discs actually saves money when all costs are
- We have more historical streamflow data than the USGS
web site. We include historical stations that we have retrieved
from WATSTORE over the last 12 years but which for some
reason are not currently provided by the USGS web site. You
may miss data from historical stations if you rely solely on the
USGS web site.
- We provide non-streamflow data. The USGS web site only
provides daily streamflow. At some sites there are continuous
records of some water quality and meteorological data. We
- It is easier to find stations you want. The USGS and NCDC have improved
their search capabilities, but it's still easier to find stations on our
products and to get data for more than a few stations at a time.
- It is less costly to retrieve data from our products (unless
you place a low value on your time). You can retrieve multiple
stations at once directly into a useful format.
- Our data is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You don't rely on your ISP or the government web site to be there when you need data.
Return to Hydrosphere Home Page
Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated July 25, 2000
Copyright © 1997 Hydrosphere Data Products, Inc.